(part of the lecture cycle "Traveling with Prof. Louis Baeck in the global village",
organized in cooperation with Prof. Dirk Heremans.)
Thursday November 15, 2018 at 4.30 pm
(related to the publication by L.Baeck: "De financiële systeemcrisis in geopolitiek perspectief", 2009).
moderator: Dirk Heremans
keynote speaker:Peter Praet : “Monetary Policy and Financial Stability”
panel members: Paul De Grauwe and Cynthia Van Hulle
Debate followed by a walking cocktail.
In view of the international character of the topic and possible participants the debate is organized in English.
Sketch of the topic:
What future for banks and sustainable global finance?
The debate will focus on financial crises, bank reform and the future of global finance;
- Is sustainable financial stability within reach or are we sleepwalking to the next financial crisis?
- Can actual inflation (and business cycle) oriented monetary policy by the ECB be better geared to financial stability?
- And can worldwide monetary arrangements (on exchange rate stability) avoid currency wars and destabilizing capital flows?
- Do we return to the crisis-prone “exuberant financialisation “ of the economy or stop the dominance of this Anglo-Saxon financial capitalism (Wall street, City London)?
- Are Fin-Tech innovations in the digital age to become game changers presenting new opportunities or new instability for bank business models.?